¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

Green Card Renewal

Green Card Renewal

Every year, tens of thousands of people earn legal permanent resident status in the United States. Their proof of status becomes a permanent resident card, often known as a green card, once they are approved for LPR status. The majority of green card holders receive a ten-year green card.

Some, on the other hand, are given a two-year green card. Green cards with conditions are referred to as conditional green cards. Permanent residents must carry a valid green card with them at all times.

How to Get a Green Card Renewal

To renew your green card, you can submit Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, by mail or online to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must be physically present in the United States when you submit Form I-90.

Should you currently be outside the United States and your green card is about to expire, you should make every effort to file the renewal as soon as you return. Before filing Form I-90, if you’re outside the United States and your green card expires, you should call the nearest US Consulate, USCIS office, or US port of entry.

Expiration of a Green Card

The expiration date of your green card can be seen on the front of your card. It’s essential to file Form I-90 if your 10-year green card has expired or will expire within the next six months. Please note that if you are a conditional permanent resident with a 2-year expiration date on your green card, you must apply to have the conditions removed.

Instead of filing Form I-90, you may be eligible to apply using Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

I-90 Green Card Renewal Form

Your green card must be expired or due to expire within the next six months in order to file Form I-90. If you meet the following criteria, you can also use Form I-90 to replace your green card:

  • Your card has been misplaced, stolen, or damaged in some way.
  • Because of a USCIS error, your card was issued with incorrect information (for example, your name is misspelled or your date of birth or residence since the date is incorrect).
  • Because it has been legally altered (for example, you have married and now have your spouse’s last name), the information on your card is incorrect.
  • Before your 14th birthday, you were given a 10-year green card, which does not expire until after your 16th birthday.
  • You need an updated green card because you issued a card with no expiration date many years ago.

Online Green Card Renewal

There are three fundamental steps to applying for a renewal of your green card online:

  • Step 1: Create a USCIS account first. You’ll need a USCIS account to access the online application.
  • Step 2: Fill out the I-90 application online as completely as possible. To prevent being rejected and losing your application money, make sure you don’t make any mistakes when filling out the application.
  • Step 3: Attach your supporting documentation. This could involve sending a copy of your current green card or copies of your passport admittance stamps demonstrating you entered the nation on a visa.

You’ll need to submit a digital signature and pay the renewal fees once you’ve completed these steps.

Fees for renewing a Green Card

Regardless of whether you file your application online or by mail, you must pay the filing fee and the biometric (fingerprint) fee. If you are paying by mail, you can use a check, money order, or credit card. You will be directed to Pay.gov, a secure online payment system if you pay online through the USCIS.

How long does it take to renew your Green Card?

After you’ve filed Form I-90, it can take anywhere from 4.5 to 8 months to acquire your green card. For any green card and immigration-related queries:

Visit us at  www.gehilaw.com

Contact us at 718-263-5999

Email Us at  info@gehilaw.com

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content