¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Guide Through The Visa Pathway For Investors In The US

Guide Through The Visa Pathway For Investors In The US

Guide Through The Visa Pathway For Investors In The Us

Many people always have one reason or the other to enter the US. Most of these people want to invest in the US economy and infrastructure long-term. Additionally, many of them want to become US residents based on US immigration laws. An investment visa is a type of visa issued to foreign entrepreneurs or investors.

It allows them to enter the United States to do business. There are many options when it comes to visas for investors. Each of these visas has its own unique set of requirements. Some are better suited to a particular purpose, while others are only suitable for certain situations. Getting a visa for investors in the US can be a difficult process.

However, with the right preparation and guidance, it is possible to obtain the right visa for you quickly. If you are an investor who wants to relocate your business to the United States, you need to know which business visa is right for you. Don’t worry about the details of your business visa or investment visa.

An immigration attorney will help you complete your visa application quickly and efficiently. Here are a few things you should know if you are a foreigner who wants a specific visa for investors in the United States.

What are the available US visas for investors?

Many individuals come to the US on a business or investment visa. These visas allow you to remain in the US for a variety of purposes, including education, employment, travel, and leisure. Depending on your situation, you may qualify for one of the numerous types of visas for investors.

If you are looking for work in the US, you can qualify for a business visa by demonstrating to the US government that you have valuable skills and talent that are necessary for your business and that you are a valuable asset to the country. As a quick guide, here are the most common types of visas for investors.

1. Business visa (B-1).

A B-1 visa is a temporary visa issued for business purposes in the United States. It is issued to individuals who need to go to the United States for business-related purposes, such as attending a conference, business meetings, or concluding contracts. B-1 visas are for business purposes only and do not allow individuals to work in the United States full-time.

In March 2023, US Citizenship and Immigration Services announced that individuals with a B-1 visa can begin applying for jobs and attending interviews in the United States. A B-1 visa is a visa that allows you to trade in the United States. B-1 visas are less stringent than others, but you must still meet certain requirements. Here are the requirements for a B-1 Visa:

  • You must be visiting the United States for business purposes.
  • You must have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in the United States.
  • You must be ready to leave the United States upon the expiration of your visa.

If this visa looks attractive to you, an immigration attorney can help you secure one.

2. Visa for investors with special skills (E-1 visa).

The E-1 visa is designed for individuals with special skills, innovative professors or researchers, or multinational business managers or executives. This type of visa allows individuals to enter the United States to engage in some trade on their own. In some cases, this type of visa for investors can also be held by employees.

Applicants must be able to engage in at least 50 percent of their trade between their country and the United States. If an individual is a business person from a particular treaty country, they can obtain an E-1 visa to work in the United States. This visa enables them to engage in many transactions with companies in the United States and their country of origin.

E-1 visa holders can work in various industries, such as transportation, communications, banking, advertising, and management. Most E-1 visas are valid for 5 years. USCIS allows you to extend your status for up to 2 additional years. There are no restrictions on the number of extensions you can receive, meaning you can stay in the US indefinitely.

If your spouse or children are under 21 and would like to remain with you for the remainder of your stay in the United States, you may be able to do so by filing an employment authorization document (EAD). If you believe this is the best option, consider hiring an immigration attorney.

3. Treaty visas for investors (E-2 visa).

Unless you are an immigrant from one of the countries with which the United States has a Trade or Navigability Agreement, you will need to make a substantial investment in a US company. You can obtain this visa if:

  1. You have made substantial investments in US companies.
  2. You own more than 50% of the company.
  3. You are managing the investment company while you are in the US.
  4. You must meet the specific requirements of the company’s employer.
  5. You must be employed by the company.
  6. Your job description must be executive or supervisor-type.
  7. You must have special qualifications.
  8. Each qualifying investment must generate a profit.
  9. Qualifying investments must be loss-absorbing.

Only investments made into an active “bona fide business” currently and in the future can support E-2 holders and their families will be eligible for this visa. E-2 visas are valid for no more than two years and can be renewed indefinitely. This visa allows investors and their employees to work in the applicant’s area of residence.

If the scope of the investor’s work or investment changes, the USCIS must confirm it. If you think you qualify for this type of investor visa, contact an immigration attorney.

4. The golden visa.

First issued in 1990, the EB-5 visa was designed to increase employment and attract foreign capital to the US economy. Depending on the type of EB-5 visa you have, you may not need to manage your own business. The EB-5 visa is a green card-level visa issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

EB-5 investors can also obtain green cards for their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21. Investors must meet certain criteria to qualify for an EB-5 visa. This type of visa is sometimes called the “golden visa” because it allows individuals to immigrate to the United States if they demonstrate an investment in the United States of $1.5 million or more.

The minimum investment amount for this visa is $800,000 to $1.05 million, but investors can make investments of $500,000 or more in areas with high unemployment rates or rural employment areas. Your capital investments under EB-5 may include cash, equipment, inventory, and other tangible assets.

Your EB-5 investment will be valued at real market value in US dollars. You cannot borrow capital under EB-5. If you are a foreigner who wants to explore EB-5 investment opportunities, you can do so with the help of an immigration attorney. An immigration attorney can provide you with business plans, economic analysis, and proof that you are the owner of the funds you are investing in.

Your application for EB-5 may be reviewed by the US government, as there is a long history of fraud and abuse for investors under this visa. If you are interested in exploring this option, contact an immigration lawyer.

Why go for visas for investors?

The US visa for investors is a great option for qualified applicants who want to immigrate to the United States. Investors granted an investment visa can reside, study, and work in the United States. Depending on your investment’s purpose, an E-2 or EB-5 may be better than applying for a traditional visa.

E-2 visas are ideal for permanent US residency, while EB-5 visas are great short-term options for those looking for work permits in the US. If you are a foreign national looking to invest in the United States, you can take your investment to the next level by scheduling a meeting with an immigration lawyer.

Processing time of visas for investors

The processing time varies depending on several factors, such as how complex your case is and how many visa applications are processed by your service center. The processing time also depends on whether you qualify and how comprehensive your documents are.

The average processing time ranges from 20.5 to 27 months, depending on the investment visa you are applying for. If you would like to speed up the process, you can use the premium processing service. This service is available for an additional fee. You can find out more about it by talking to an immigration attorney.

Get help!

At Gehi and Associates, our immigration lawyer will work with you to expedite your application process. We will help you to compile and manage all the necessary documents to support your case. If you want to expand your investment into the United States, we can assist you in getting your dream business visa or investment visa.

Having an experienced immigration attorney can make your life simpler. Whether you are looking for a short-term business visa or a long-term investment opportunity in the United States markets, we have many years of experience. Get in touch with us today to start!

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content