¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Guide To Citizenship Through Marriage In The US

Guide To Citizenship Through Marriage In The US

Guide To Citizenship Through Marriage In The US

It is not unusual for a citizen of the United States to fall in love and marry a foreign national. As we all know, marriage to a foreign national comes with certain processes that must be followed to get necessary approvals for your foreign spouse, such as visas and permits. But the good news is that these steps to get and renew visas and green cards aren’t forever.

A foreign citizen married to a US citizen can also become an American citizen through citizenship marriage. When a US citizen marries a foreign national, many people assume that U.S. citizenship will follow. However, this is not the case. There are strict rules that must be followed to get the desired.

It is wise to talk with an immigration attorney in Brooklyn to help you understand the process better. If you are married to an American citizen, you have the right to become one. But special provisions in US immigration law allow US permanent residents to apply for citizenship through marriage after only three years of residency.

Most permanent residents must have resided in the US for at least five years before they can apply for citizenship. A spouse of an American citizen who lives in the United States can apply for his or her marriage based on Form N-400 application for naturalization after only three years.

Becoming a US citizen can be daunting. In 2021 alone, over 9 million green card holders qualified for naturalization to become US citizens. However, the process isn’t as straightforward as it seems. If you want to become an American citizen, it is important to find the right immigration attorney in Brooklyn to help you navigate the process.

This post will explain how living in a marriage with an American citizen will lead to naturalization, and what citizenship marriage means. Let’s get started!

What is naturalization?

The way to becoming an American citizen through marriage is known as the naturalization process. Generally, naturalization is the legal process of becoming a US citizen. If you were not born in the US, naturalization is the only way to become an American citizen. To naturalize, you will need to fulfill certain legal requirements.

Meaning of citizenship marriage

A foreign national has the right to become a resident of the United States whenever he or she marries an American citizen or permanent resident. This is known as a green card marriage. A foreign national who is married to an American citizen and has obtained a green card can also apply for US citizenship after some time, also known as citizenship marriage.

A citizenship marriage allows an American permanent resident (formerly a foreign national) to become an American citizen. This process of becoming an American citizen is known as the naturalization process. The success of your application for citizenship will depend on how hard you work and how well you can meet the requirements.

You will need to go through many steps, which may include various forms and processes. If you apply for citizenship, don’t back down at the first hurdle. Becoming an American citizen is a huge honor and requires a lot of work. Getting an immigration attorney in Brooklyn will help you avoid ruining your US citizenship chance.

How does marriage get you American citizenship?

First, let’s be clear: Being married to an American citizen doesn’t automatically make you a citizen of the United States. You have to get a green card first. A “green card” is a type of legal permanent residence, but it doesn’t turn you into an American citizen (at least not right away).

A green card can allow you to stay in the United States for many years, but it is at least two steps away from becoming an American citizen. In other words, even if your American husband sponsors your immigrant, it won’t turn them into an American citizen right away until you become a green card holder. An immigration attorney in Brooklyn can help you get a green card.

Who is eligible?

There are certain eligibility requirements that must be met before you can apply for citizenship in the United States. If you want to become a citizen of the United States by naturalization, you must meet certain requirements. First, you must be 18 years of age or older. Second, you cannot travel outside the United States for six months or more during your qualifying period.

Third, you must live in the state in which you plan to apply for naturalization for at least three months. Fourth, you cannot have a criminal record or have committed any crime in the past five years. Fifth, you must pass the naturalization interview, including the English test and a civics test.

Six, you must demonstrate good moral character and, if asked, willingness to serve in the federal civil service or the military. Finally, you must demonstrate a willingness to defend the Constitution of the United States. If you have a medical condition affecting your body, brain, or both, you may be able to skip English and civics.

The only way to do this is by filling out a form known as N-648, which stands for “Medical Certificate of Disability Exception.” If you are unsure if you are eligible for any waivers or exemptions, it is always a good idea to reach out to an immigration attorney in Brooklyn.

If you are not already a resident of the United States, you will first need to file a green card marriage petition and complete the three-year residency requirement. Then, you can apply for citizenship marriage.

The application process

If you meet the above eligibility requirements, you are, by definition, entitled to apply for US citizenship based on your marriage. Here are the steps you need to take to naturalize (citizenship marriage) in the United States. We want to emphasize that these are just the basics.

It is always best to enlist the help of an immigration attorney in Brooklyn to maximize your chances of success. Here are the basic steps in the application process.

1. Complete the application form and pay fees.

You can apply online by creating an account with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can also apply by paper. However, you must apply by paper if:

  • You are applying from an overseas country.
  • You are applying for a lower or no obligation fee.

The N-400 application form can be difficult to complete, so contact an immigration attorney in Brooklyn who can assist you. You must fill out Form N-900 before meeting the three or five-year residency requirement. Form N-900 must be completed within 90 days before meeting the residency requirement. You also must pay for different fees. Talking with an immigration attorney in Brooklyn will help you know the fees to be paid and when to pay them.

2. Support your application.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has a comprehensive list of what you must include in your N-400 naturalization form. Here are some of the things you need to include:

  • A copy of your green card.
  • Two passport-style photos.
  • Your marriage certificate.
  • And other necessary documents.

3. Biometrics stage.

After that, you must visit your local USCIS office to undergo a biometric screening. During this screening, your fingerprints will be scanned, and a background check will be done. Typically, biometric screenings occur about one month after your USCIS application is submitted.

4. Interview and tests.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will call you for a face-to-face interview. You will take an English language and civics tests during your interview. The USCIS uses these tests to measure an individual’s proficiency in the English language.

The civics test consists of 20 questions in either the 2008 or 2020 versions. The 2020 version requires 6 answers out of 20, while the 2008 version requires 12 answers out of 20.

5. Final outcome.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will decide whether to approve your application. The USCIS may also ask you for additional documents or request that you take English and civics again. Once the USCIS approves your application, you will be asked to sign an oath of loyalty, which can be done in court or via an administrative survey.

You will also need to submit Form N-445 along with your green card return. Speaking with an immigration attorney in Brooklyn is the best way to start your application because it gives you a better chance of winning your case.

What is marriage fraud?

Marriage fraud refers to the practice of marrying an American citizen for the sole purpose of obtaining American citizenship. This practice is illegal and carries severe penalties. To find out more about marriage fraud penalties in the United States, please refer to an immigration attorney in Brooklyn.

Get help!

Do you want to become a U.S. citizen but don’t know how? Don’t worry about it, we are here for you at Gehi and Associates. We can assist you with all the legal requirements to make your American dream a reality. At Gehi and Associates, we have a proven track record of assisting our clients in achieving their goals and achieving more than they could have ever imagined.

Contact us today and start your journey to becoming a United States citizen. Schedule an initial FREE consultation with our experienced team of attorneys.


Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content