¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Guide To Get A New Green Card In The United States

Guide To Get A New Green Card In The United States

Guide To Get A New Green Card In The United States

According to US immigration laws, a green card (also called a permanent resident card) is necessary for a third-country national to legally reside and work in the US. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives millions of green card applications annually, making the green card application process highly competitive.

Getting a green card is not always easy. That is why it is no surprise that third-country nationals are happy when they finally receive their green card, often with the help of an immigration attorney. But it can be a big deal when your green card expires, is lost, is damaged, or for any reason, you can no longer benefit from it.

It is essential to have a valid green card. Without one, it will be difficult to prove your permanent residency status, and you may be barred from re-entering the U.S. if you travel. This could affect your ability to work. To make matters even more complicated, all green cards come with an expiration date on the front.

In fact, most green cards are valid for a maximum of 10 years. For example, if you were given conditional permanent residency status, your green card is only good for two years. If you want a green card renewal or replacement, you need to know how to do it.

This post will review valuable information on the green card renewal and replacement process in the United States.

Meaning of a green card

Once you become a legal resident of the United States, you will be issued a green card, also known as a lawful permanent resident card, a form I-551 card, or an alien registration receipt card (ARC Card). Your green card serves as proof of your legal permanent resident status and your permanent residence status in the United States, including your ability to live and work.

Green cards are rectangular plastic cards that contain a lot of information about you as a legal permanent resident. On the front of the card, you can see your photo, your name, your US Citizenship and Immigration Services number, your country of birth, your signature, your fingerprint, your date of birth, your sex, your category of admission into the US, and other important information.

Generally, a green card is issued for 10 years, and at the end of that 10-year period you will need to apply for your green card renewal.

Green card renewal

It is time to apply for a green card renewal as soon as you know your status has expired or within six months after your status expires. If you are a 2-year conditional resident on a green card, you must file a petition for removal of the residency conditions on your green card 90 days before your status expires.

If you are on marriage-based conditional green card status, you should file a Form I-751 petition to remove the conditions on your residence. If you do not file your petition within 90 days of your status expiring, USCIS may terminate your status automatically and send you a notice to appear.

According to USCIS, a conditional permanent resident child may be included in their parent’s petition if the child received their status the same day or within 90 days after the parent received their conditional status. If this is not the case, the child must file their own petition to remove the condition.

In some cases, applicants may file for removal conditions without having a stepparent or spouse. For example, circumstances such as the death of a spouse or stepparent, dissolution of marriage, or extreme abuse by a spouse, etc.

If you have a conditional status based on your status as an entrepreneur or investor, you must file Form I- 829, Petition by the entrepreneur to remove conditions on permanent residence. Failing to file a petition to remove conditions before a two-year green card expires may affect your permanent residence status.

Green card replacement

If your green card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you should apply for a replacement and not a green card renewal. You should also seek for a green card replacement if the information on your green card has changed. If you obtained permanent residency before age 14, you will need to replace your permanent residence card when you turn 14.

You will need to fill out a form called I-90, which you can fill out online through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. Please note that form I-90 is not for removal of green card condition. It is important to note that you may face severe sanctions if you do not renew or replace your green card.

It would help if you spoke with an immigration attorney to help renew or replace your green card.

The application process

The green card renewal or replacement application can be filed in one of two ways: online or by paper. Before 2015, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) used to process mailed and online green card applications differently. However, after 2015, all green card applications are processed online.

So, even if you mail your application, the USCIS will create your online green card account. The online green card account will contain any notifications that USCIS sends you and your application status information. You can also opt not to check your online green card account, as important notices are sent by mail.

There are a few basic steps to green card renewal or replacement. You need to know them.

1. Spot the reason you need the green card renewal or replacement.

First, you need to know exactly why you are applying for green card renewal or replacement. If you have lost your green card, it is about to expire, or you have changed your name since the last time you received it, you must indicate it. The reason you are applying for green card renewal or replacement will affect your filing fees and the documents you will need to submit to support your case.

2. Fill out the correct forms.

Fill out the I-90 form, which also contains instructions on how to fill it out. You need to follow these instructions because any errors will cause USCIS to reject your application. For instance, you need to select the right reason why you are seeking green card renewal or replacement. There are 17 reasons listed on the form I-90, so you must select the correct one. The reason you select will indicate which documents you need to submit.

3. Pay fees.

The green card renewal or replacement fee is currently about $600. This fee is determined by USCIS. You will need to pay the following green card renewal fees before submitting your documents. This fee will cover the biometrics service fee (where required). These fees can be paid online using a valid Visa card, MasterCard card, American Express card, or a Discover card.

If you don’t want to pay online, you can pay by money order or check. However, USCIS doesn’t accept cash. Once USCIS receives your payment, they will send you a receipt as proof of receipt.

4. Send in the evidence to support your application.

Depending on the reason for the green card renewal or replacement, you will be asked to submit the following documents according to the instructions in Form I-90:

For green card renewals: Just a copy of your Current Green Card

For green card replacements:

  • A copy of the stolen or damaged card.
  • A copy of a valid government issued ID (passport, military ID, or driver’s license).

For errors in the initial green card:

  • The original of the initial green card.
  • Copy of your birth or marriage certificate with correct information.

Documents to submit for change of name and other info:

  • A court order on the decision.
  • A copy of your new birth or marriage certificate

If you are applying for a green card renewal or replacement for reasons other than the ones highlighted above, you should speak with an immigration attorney.

5. Meet up with biometrics appointments.

Once the receipt notice is issued, USCIS will issue your biometric appointment notice. Your biometric appointment notice will include your location and the date of your biometric appointment. The notice will also include instructions on what you should bring to the biometric appointment.

This notice will also provide guidance on how you can reschedule your biometric appointment if you are unable to attend. For most green card renewals and replacements, you will need to go to a biometric appointment to get your fingerprints taken. You will have to go to the biometric appointment even if you have had your fingerprints taken before.

Your biometric appointment will be about two weeks after USCIS sends you your appointment notice. Your biometric appointment is where your digital fingerprints will be taken. Be sure to keep track of the date and location of your biometric appointment.

Ensure you bring the necessary documents to your biometric appointment (as indicated on your appointment notice). You will need a valid identity card and your actual appointment notice.

6. USCIS decision.

Once your biometric appointment is complete, USCIS will process your application and issue you a new green card. If USCIS has any queries regarding a specific part of your application or if you filed it incorrectly, they may ask you to submit a Request for Further Evidence (RFE). RFEs can delay your overall processing time.

Get help!

Gehi and Associates understand that the green card renewal or replacement application process can be overwhelming and complicated. This is more so for those who have expired, lost, damaged, or mutilated green cards and those outside the United States who need to replace their green card.

We have a team of experienced immigration lawyers with a proven track record. Don’t stress about the nuances and complexities of green card renewal or replacement application because we are here for you. Get in touch with us today for an initial FREE consultation.

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content