Would you like to train in the United States in your particular field? Is this training unavailable in your country? Do you have less than, or are you currently working on, a bachelor’s (baccalaureate) degree?

If you answered “Yes” to the three questions above, you might be able to apply for an H-3 visa! The primary purpose of the H-3 visa is to allow non-immigrants to receive job-related instruction and training with a U.S. company, which would not otherwise be available in their home country. One of the main H-3 visa restrictions is that the training will benefit the applicant in obtaining employment in the candidate’s home country. Fields in which training can be approved include, but are not limited to: Agriculture, Communications, Technology, Commerce, Finance, Government, and Transportation.

The H-3 visa is also available for those who intend to experience and learn more about teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities. This is called the “Special Education” H-3 classification, which has certain additional requirements.

Please note: The H-3 visa is only for those without a graduate degree and cannot be used for medical training. If you are looking for graduate education or training, a J-1 or F-1 visa may be a possibility.


A U.S. employer or organization must:

  1. Provide a description of the structured training program you will pursue, including the hours of classroom training, as well as on-the-job training;
  2. Show the background of your previous training and experience;
  3. Explain reasons for the need or training in that field in your country;
  4. Explain why you cannot get such training in your home country;
  5. Provide proof that the training will benefit your career in your home country;
  6. Explain how your employer or organization will pay for the cost of training you without you actually working for them.