¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • How To Get an E-2 Investor Visa With an Immigration Attorney in Texas

How To Get an E-2 Investor Visa With an Immigration Attorney in Texas

How To Get an E-2 Investor Visa With an Immigration Attorney in Texas

Texas is a great place to invest and do business! It has a diverse economy, great taxes, and great incentives. Also, it has a reasonable regulatory climate. The tech industry is booming, and companies are flocking to Texas for its climate, education, and culture.

It is also the best place for small business owners because of its low taxes, great education, great weather, and lots of things to do. The state has many attractive features, from state parks and lakes to rodeos and working ranches.

If you are looking for a place to invest in the US, Texas is the place to be! But how do you do this if you live outside the US? If you live in a country with an agreement with the US to trade and sail, you can apply for an E-2 treaty investor visa.

This visa lets you enter any part of the US (including Texas) to start and expand the business of an investment company you have made or where you plan to put a lot of money.

If your intention is to get an E-2 visa to invest in Texas, it is a good idea to talk with an immigration attorney in Texas to guide you through the process.

Before then, here is some info to help you get to know the basics of the E-2 investor visa.

What is the E-2 visa?

E-2 visas are nonimmigrant visas that allow people from certain countries to invest in US businesses; live and work in the US. They are a great option for foreign entrepreneurs who want to start a business but are only available in certain countries.

You can invest in any business in Texas, but only in your own business. You can travel freely to Texas, and your family members may be able to work in Texas. If you are a foreigner from a treaty country who wants to open a business in Texas, the E-2 visa is a great way to do it.

It is a visa for non-immigrants from countries with a trade and navigation agreement with the US or designated by law as a qualifying country. You can get E-2 visas if you are from countries like the UK, Australia, and Japan, as well as Argentina and Ethiopia.

If you are outside the US and want to invest in Texas, talking with an immigration attorney in Texas is the sure way to know if you are from an eligible country.

Who can apply?

To be able to apply, you must:

  1.   Be a business owner from a treaty country who is investing a lot in an American company or
  2.   You might want to think about joining a group of nationals who are either coming to the US to either grow and manage their investments or they already have a lot of money invested, or
  3. You might also want to think about sending key people from your country to run your US affiliate or branch;
  4. If you are in one of the treaty countries, you can send people to start your US business.
  5. E-2 visa holders’ closest relatives can also apply.

You should know that an E-2 visa is a temporary work permit that you can get if you are an owner or investor in a US business. It is for investments that are “substantial” in the US, and you need to meet certain criteria (including those above).

An E-2 employee can get a visa if they are or will be in an executive, managerial, or supervisory role. If they are working in a minor role, they can get an E-2 investor visa if their services are essential to the business.

The spouse and kids of an E-1/E-2 visa holder can get the same status as the principal. You need to be an investor by investing in an active business, owning at least 50% of the business from a country with a contract with the US, and making enough money to support yourself and your family.

Speak with an immigration attorney in Texas to see if you are eligible.

How to apply?

The E-2 application process all depends on which US Embassy or Consulate you apply to. Talk with an immigration attorney in Texas to get the guide you need. Generally, there are seven steps to the process:

  1. You will need to fill out the online visa application (DS-160);
  2. You must upload your photo.
  3. Then, you will have to pay the application fee and print out the receipt.
  4. You will then wait for an e-mail confirmation and print out the confirmation sheet. Immigration officials will then need to locate your application.
  5. You will then have to schedule an interview with an Embassy or Consulate near you.
  6.  You will have to fill out all the necessary documents and show up for the interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
  7. You may also need to print out and fill out an application for nonimmigrant treaty traders/treaty investors, which lets you explain your business plans and investments before the interview.

Possible interview questions

The questions you will get at the consulates for your E-2 visa application vary depending on where you are, the consulate’s operating procedures, and how many applications you have submitted.

This is why contacting an immigration attorney in Texas is a great way to prepare for your interview. Here are the top 5 most common questions:

  1. What business do you want to start?
  2. How much money have you put into it?
  3.  Have you met your business partners?
  4. How many people do you want to work with?
  5. How much do you want to pay them?
  6. Where do you think the company will be five years from now?

It is really important to answer questions honestly during the interview so you do not get rejected.

Get Help!

If you want an extra residency and citizenship in the US, Gehi & Associates is the name you need to know.

We are a well-known immigration firm in Texas that can help you get your E-2 visa by making sure your application is properly filed, and you submit the things you need to prove your case.

We provide a personalized and easy-to-understand process for our clients. Get in touch with us, and one of our experienced immigration attorneys in Texas will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content