¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Becoming A Legal Immigrant As An Asylee Or Refugee

Becoming A Legal Immigrant As An Asylee Or Refugee

Becoming A Legal Immigrant As An Asylee Or Refugee

Are you looking to escape persecution or harm in your home country? You may turn to the United States (US) for solace. An asylum lawyer in Jamaica can help you navigate the application process. With this, you will get the best deal possible. Your asylum or refugee status in the US gives you protection. It lets you live and work there.

Congrats if you have obtained asylum status or are a refugee in the US. You can get a quick guide on your status as an asylee/refugee. However, the USCIS may ask you to move out of the US if the conditions in your home country change. This is also true if you no longer qualify as an asylee/refugee.

One of the cool things is that you can become a legal permanent resident of the US. This means you can move permanently from your protection status to living and working in the US. But getting this is not a walk in the park.

Do you currently live in the United States as an asylee/refugee? Do you want to change your status to become a legal permanent resident? Or do you have relatives who do?

This post will give you a general overview of how to change your status to legal permanent resident.

Asylee Or Refugee that are Eligible?

It is important to note that not everyone who is an asylee/refugee is eligible for a change of status. This is because you must meet clear criteria before you can change your status. An asylum lawyer in Jamaica can help you assess your eligibility. These criteria include:

  1. You must have obtained asylum.
  2. You must have been resident in the United States for at least one year before applying for the change of status.
  3. You must still be a refugee.
  4. Without a return plan, you must not have relocated abroad outside the United States.
  5.   Your asylum status has not been terminated.
  6. You are either acceptable for a lawful permanent resident status or a waiver (if inadmissible). INA 212 (a) contains grounds for inadmissibility that could be reasons for being inadmissible.
  7. You prove that you deserve a favorable exercise of your discretion.
  8. You are not subject to any restraining factors that prevent you from being a lawful permanent resident.

Are you an asylee or a refugee? You can apply to become a legal permanent resident only after one (1) year of getting asylum status or arriving in the US. As an asylee/refugee, your spouse and children may also be eligible to apply for a change of status.

But they must meet the pre-conditions listed above. If you have questions about whether you, your spouse, and your children are eligible, as asylees/refugees, to become legal permanent resident, contact an asylum lawyer in Jamaica.

How do you Apply to Become a Legal Immigrant (Green Card Holder)

Once you assess your eligibility requirements based on your condition and determine eligibility, the next major obstacle will be navigating the application process. If you are an asylee/refugee looking to adjust your status to a legal permanent resident, you will start by getting Form I-485.

You will need to read through the instructions before you fill it out and submit it to the USCIS. Some asylees/refugees don’t have the time to read the instructions, and some read the instructions but don’t understand them. This can lead to mistakes that could slow the application process or even deny your application.

That is why working with an asylum lawyer in Jamaica is so important to help you through the application process. Ensure you have all the necessary documents when you submit your application. These documents include a copy of your asylum approval notice and proof of your identity.

You should also have a copy of your passport from any travels you have made outside of the US and any other documents that show you meet the prerequisites for your change of status. Depending on the circumstances of your application, the USCIS might also ask you to file a form like Form I-765.

This is in case you need a work permit. Or a Form I-693 (a medical or vaccination history).

What Happens Next?

Once you submit your application, you will receive a notice from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This notice will basically inform you of the acceptance of your application. Then, you will be set up for a biometrics appointment through a notice.

The USCIS will take your fingerprints, photo, and signature during this appointment. This will be used to check your criminal record with the FBI and DHS to see if you are involved in any crime. If you don’t know how to get ready for this, talk to an asylum lawyer in Jamaica.

Then, you will probably be booked for an interview. But this might not be necessary since you already had an interview during your asylum status application. If the USCIS decides to interview you, it usually happens three months after you submit your application.

Several factors determine the duration of the application process. With the help of an asylum lawyer, you can become a legal permanent resident within the set processing time. If they approve your application, they will send you a notice and your green card.

Become a Legal Immigrant with our Help

Are you an asylee or a refugee looking to make your dream of being a green card holder a reality? Do you need help navigating the process of becoming a legal permanent resident? Don’t worry, Gehi and Associates is here to help.

We have been helping people with immigration issues. We have done this with great results for over twenty (20) years. So, you can trust us to get the job done right. Contact us today and see what we can do for you!

Take advantage of our FREE CONSULTATION.

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents



Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content