¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Understanding P3 Visas In The United States

Understanding P3 Visas In The United States


If you are an artist or entertainer looking to come to the US for a short-term teaching or coaching job, you can apply for US P3 visas on your own or with a team and under a program that is unique to your culture. That is why the P3 visa is considered a “nonimmigrant work visa.”

The application process, fees, and requirements are pretty much the same as those for the P2 visas (i.e. the reciprocal exchange programme). If you are an artist or performer who wants to work or perform in the US, you might be able to apply and get a P3 visa. It is a temporary work visa that lets you perform at certain events or series of events in the US.

Before you apply, though, it is important to know what you need to do to qualify and the application process. Talking with one of our immigration lawyers is a good way to start. We have put together this guide to help you figure out some vital info about the US P3 visa.

What is a P3 visa?

If you are a foreign artist or entertainer coming to the US for a culturally unique program, like performing, teaching, or coaching, you can apply for a P3 visa. It is a nonimmigrant visa for both performers and their support staff. You can apply for it on your own or as part of a group.

So, if you are an artist or entertainer looking to move to the US, the P3 visa is for you. You can apply for it if you are part of a program that is unique to your country, ethnic background, religion, or group. This visa aims to help people from different countries learn about each other’s cultures.

It is a great way to share your talents and culture with the American audience. If you are successful, you can come to work in the US to perform, teach, coach, or hold a supporting role in a cultural project. You can come to the US, perform, and get paid or win prizes.

You can also do part-time studies while you are here and bring your family with you. The only stipulation is that you can only work for the same employer that sponsored your petition. If you change employers, you will need to apply for a different visa.

Athletes and media representatives should apply for a P1 visa and an I visa, respectively.

Who can apply?

Basically, you need to meet a few basic criteria before you can apply and get a P3 visa. First, you need to be coming to the US to take part in a program that is culturally unique. It must be either traditional, ethnic, folk, cultural, or artistic.

Second, you must be an artist or performer who is part of the show. Third, you need to have an American sponsor who will take care of you while you are in the US.

Fourth, you must have the skills and experience to do the show or presentation.

If you are an artist or entertainer, you may be able to get a P-3 visa if you come to the US to perform, interpret, represent, coach, or teach your unique or traditional art.

You also need to be coming to the US to attend a cultural event or event that will help you understand or grow your art. The event can be commercial or non-commercial.

You can apply if you are an essential support worker for a performing artist or group. You will need to be able to show that you are part of the program.

But if you are in sports, you will need to apply for a P1 visa instead.

And do not try to apply if you are a filmmaker or other related artist, you will not be able to get a P3 visa.

What is the application process like?

The first step is to submit paperwork to the US government from both you as an artist and your employer or sponsor. You will need to fill out form I-129 (petition for nonimmigrant workers). You will also need to get a letter from a labor organization saying why they are interested in working with you.

You will have to include things like labor certification, proof of events taking place in the US, agreement, knowledge of your culturally unique art form, and a copy of your agreement. You will also have to provide evidence of your culturally unique performance, like a newspaper or journal review.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may also request additional documents to support your petition. Next, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) sends a receipt notice to the employer, agent, or sponsor.

Later, the USCIS may also send an interview notice, a notice about biometric services, and a notice about a decision or notice of action (Form I-797). If you are applying for a P3 visa, the next step will be for the artist or performer to fill out a form (DS-160) and pay a fee.

The artist or performer will also need to upload a photo and print out a confirmation page, which they will need during the interview at a US consulate or embassy. You will then receive form I-797 and may need to show up for an interview at one of the US embassies or consulates.

You will need to bring paperwork like a receipt notice, a DS-160 page, a labor certification, proof of the events in the US, and an agreement between you and the employer. You will also need to show that you have artistic skills and a good understanding of the culture.

Plus, you will need a good passport, some photos, and a receipt for the visa application fee. You will also have to bring an interview confirmation letter and payment receipts.

How long can I stay in the US with a P3 visa?

You can stay in the US for as long as you need to for the show or event you came for, but it must not be more than a year. You can extend your stay for up to one year if you are a P-3 status holder, so you can keep doing or finish the same thing you were admitted for.

Can I get a green card with a P3 visa?

A P3 visa is a nonimmigrant temporary visa that does not give you the right to live and work in the US permanently. This means there is no direct path to get a green card from a P3 visa.

But you can be on your way to getting your green card if your situation changes while you are here in the US. For example, if you get married to a US citizen or a green card holder or switch your status to an H-1B visa before applying for a green card.

Get Help!

If you are an artist or an entertainer outside the US looking to get your art out there in the US, Gehi and Associates is here to help. Our experienced immigration attorneys will take a look at your situation, figure out if you are eligible for a P3 visa and help you fill out a full application with USCIS.

We will work with your sponsor in the US to make the whole process as easy as possible. We will also go over your portfolio of documents, so you have everything you need to make sure USCIS has everything they need to look at your application.

We are always here to answer any questions you have. Get in touch with us now!

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content