H-3 Visa

Would you like to train in the United States in your particular field?

Is this training unavailable in your country?

Do you have less than, or are you currently working on, a bachelor’s (baccalaureate) degree?

If you answered “Yes” to the three questions above, you might be able to apply for an H-3 visa! The primary purpose of the H-3 visa is to allow non-immigrants to receive job-related instruction and training with a U.S. company, which would not otherwise be available in their home country. One of the main H-3 visa restrictions is that the training will benefit the applicant in obtaining employment in the candidate’s home country. Fields in which training can be approved include, but are not limited to: Agriculture, Communications, Technology, Commerce, Finance, Government, and Transportation.

The H-3 visa is also available for those who intend to experience and learn more about teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities. This is called the “Special Education” H-3 classification, which has certain additional requirements.

Please note: The H-3 visa is only for those without a graduate degree and cannot be used for medical training. If you are looking for graduate education or training, a J-1 or F-1 visa may be a possibility.


A U.S. employer or organization must:

  1. Provide a description of the structured training program you will pursue, including the hours of classroom training, as well as on-the-job training;
  2. Show the background of your previous training and experience;
  3. Explain reasons for the need of training in that field in your country;
  4. Explain why you cannot get such training in your home country;
  5. Provide proof that the training will benefit your career in your home country;
  6. Explain how your employer or organization will pay for the cost of training you without your actually working for them.


In addition to the above, the U.S. employer or organization must also submit:

  1. A description of the staff and facilities where you will be trained and details of your participation in the training;
  2. Also, as an applicant, you must have or almost be done with your bachelor’s degree program in special education, or show that you have experience in teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.


You may stay for up to two years for your training. The period of stay is 18 months for special education applicants who apply for an H-3 visa.


Yes. H-3 visa holders can bring their spouses and children. However, they cannot work in the U.S.


The H-3 visa provides an excellent opportunity for foreign nationals who wish to come to the United States to train and return to their home country and implement their skills. For example, if you own a printing company and are interested in learning new technology from a United States-based printing company, you should consider this option. In summary, the H-3 visa is perfect for learning skills and implementing them in your business or trade in your home country.

Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
Prior Results do not guarantee future outcome.
Free Initial Consultations are limited to in-person consultations by appointment only at one of our three New York City offices.
Phone Consultations with a lawyer may be scheduled subject to attorney availability, however, they are subject to a fee based on a minimum of 15 minutes.
Email consultation is limited to attorney availability. Emailed responses will be based upon lawyer availability and preference will be given to existing clients
Prior result do not guarantee a similar outcome.

RPM Badge
Quick Contact
close slider
Open chat
For a quick response, type your question here.