¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarati, and Afrikaans!

Family Based Immigration

Empowering Families through Immigration

Gehi & Associates: Your Trusted Immigration Attorney South Jamaica, New York!

A family attorney in NYC has experience helping clients obtain family-based visas, which, in many cases, allow immediate relatives of U.S. citizens to receive immigrant visas without regard for limits. If you’re like many individuals, you’d like to move your family to the United States but don’t know where to start; fortunately, the United States has a number of immigration laws that permit family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to enter the country and seek lawful permanent residency or citizenship. If you have questions about your eligibility, the family attorney in NYC can discuss your qualifications.

Working with a knowledgeable family lawyer in NYC is the most effective method for most people to navigate the family immigration system. Immigration law in the United States may be quite complex, but dealing with a family attorney in NYC may make the entire process simpler for you and your family members.

According to US immigration law, U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can sponsor certain relatives for temporary and permanent visas in the U.S. If you plan on petitioning or sponsoring an immediate family member, our family lawyer in NYC can help guide you through the immigration process. The law separates these relatives’ visa types into two categories.

The first category includes “Immediate Relative” visas, which are “unlimited.” This implies that there is no yearly limit on the number of immigrants who can enter the United States on these visas.

Immediate relatives include the following individuals:

  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • Parent of an adult U.S. citizen; an adult is defined as an individual who is 21 years of age or older
  • The unmarried children of a U.S. citizen
  • An orphan who was adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
  • An orphan awaiting adoption by a US citizen

If your direct relatives are not already in the United States on a visa, you, the citizen or lawful permanent resident, must apply for a visa on their behalf. Once the U.S. government approves the visa and your relatives are in the United States, you may file for an adjustment of status. We understand the importance of family, especially when it comes to the separation or possible division of a family unit; our family attorney in Queens offers passion, expertise, and dedication to every case so that you and your loved ones can be together.

An adjustment of status changes your relative’s immigration status from temporary visitor to lawful permanent resident. If the government grants your relatives’ adjustment of status applications, they will become lawful permanent residents and obtain green cards that will allow them to live and work anywhere in the United States. Our family lawyer in NYC believes that families should not be separated due to national borders; we have successfully helped numerous people discuss their cases.

In contrast to family preference visas, these types of visas are always accessible to immediate relatives. Family preference visas require applicants to wait for a visa to become available, and the United States government permits a certain number of immigrants to enter the United States on them each year. 

For many years, our family attorney in Queens has helped reunite U.S. citizens and green card holders with relatives living abroad through family-based immigrant visas. Each year, there are a limited number of family preference visas available; the government limits the number of visas issued. These visas are available for U.S. citizens’ distant relatives as well as specific family members of lawful permanent residents. To understand all your family-based immigration options, it is important to speak with an experienced family attorney in Queens.

What qualifies as Family Preference?

  • Unmarried adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (aged 21 and above)
  • Spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of permanent residents
  • Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Married sons and daughters of US citizens (of any age)
  • Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens


U.S. citizens can sponsor their immediate relatives, including spouses, unmarried children under 21 years old, and parents (if the citizen is at least 21 years old).
Yes, a U.S. citizen can sponsor a sibling for immigration to the United States. However, a green card holder cannot directly sponsor a sibling.
Family members who are applying for immigrant visas generally need to wait outside the United States until their visa is approved. However, they may be eligible to visit the United States temporarily through a nonimmigrant visa, such as a tourist visa, if they meet the requirements.
They can help with completing and filing the necessary forms, gathering supporting documents, navigating potential issues or delays, and representing clients in immigration interviews or hearings.

More Practice Highlights

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content