¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

Navigating Waivers for a Brighter Future!


Immigrants who have entered the country illegally or who cannot enter the country due to missing specific entry requirements may still be able to enter and stay in the United States, provided the proper waiver can be obtained. If you must apply for a waiver but are unsure of how to do so, our immigration waiver attorney at Gehi & Associates is here to assist. We genuinely want your immigration to the United States to be a success story that we can be proud of, as we have been there for people in situations just like yours for years, and our firm is committed to providing competent legal representation in all matters involving immigration waivers. 

You will need to obtain a specific waiver depending on your grounds of inadmissibility; a waiver does not “erase” the conditions that resulted in inadmissibility; rather, it establishes the non-application of a general rule or exception for a specific immigration case. All waivers are discretionary, which means that no matter how valid your claim is, USCIS can still deny your waiver request if they don’t find it convincing enough to grant it. Engaging the help of an immigration waiver attorney specializing in immigration waivers is the best way to guarantee that your application is as thorough and precise as possible. The non-application of a general rule or exception for a specific immigration case is sought through the waiver process; depending on the situation, you may need to ask for a waiver in order to fix your status or enter the United States. Our waivers lawyer will listen to your case, assess what type of waiver you require, and walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

Types of Immigration Waivers

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues several kinds of waivers, each for a specific situation; allow our immigration waiver attorneys to listen to your case during an initial evaluation so that we can decide which waiver is best for you and save you time and effort. Our goal as a waivers lawyer from the start is to help you legally enter the United States and remain there for as long as needed.

I-601 Waiver

Individuals who are unable to obtain a green card, visa, or other immigration benefit due to one or more “bars” of inadmissibility can ask for “forgiveness” of a specific inadmissibility bar so that they can continue in their immigration process.

This option is known as the I-601 Waiver of Inadmissibility, and it requires a well-prepared, well-documented application package. These applications are forwarded to USCIS, and eligibility is determined by whether the U.S. government has set up a certain bar of inadmissibility that can be waived.

The following are examples of inadmissibility bars that may be eligible for an I-601 waiver:

  • Immigrant membership in a totalitarian party
  • Being subject to a civil penalty
  • Alien smuggling of an immediate family member
  • Unlawful presence in the United States
  • Health-related grounds of inadmissibility
  • Certain criminal grounds of inadmissibility, including prostitution
  • Immigration fraud or misrepresentation when seeking an immigration benefit

I-212 Waiver of Ineligibility

The waiver is an application for permission to reapply for entry to the US following deportation. If the government authorizes it, it is a second opportunity to enter the United States. This I-212 waiver of ineligibility is only applicable in certain cases, and the requirements to do it are not simple. To properly navigate the process and obtain the necessary documents, you must engage an immigration lawyer that specializes in waivers.

In order to make the most effective application possible, it helps to have a competent Immigration Waivers legal team on your side because the law surrounding bars of inadmissibility in the United States can be complex and the facts of each case are very different.


Insert your FAQ Answer
Insert your FAQ Answer
Insert your FAQ Answer
Insert your FAQ Answer

More Practice Highlights

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content