best immigration lawyer in jamaica queens

How Can You Help Your Relative Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?

If you have a relative who is a U.S. permanent resident and you want to sponsor them for U.S. citizenship, there are several steps you need to take. Read on and know all there to know about the U.S. permanent residency citizenship for the relative you wish to sponsor.

What are the Steps?


First, your relative must be eligible for citizenship through the family member sponsorship program. This means that they must not have any criminal history or other issues. They also must demonstrate that the person can financially support themselves and their dependents without assistance from the government or other sources of income, such as welfare programs or public assistance (including Medicaid).

Next, you must complete an I-130 form with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) office closest to where your relative lives or where they currently reside if it is within 100 miles of that office; this form will request information about both yourself and your relative so that USCIS officials can determine whether or not they are eligible for citizenship through family sponsorship. Upon approval of this form, they will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, which will allow them to legally work in the United States while waiting for the processing of their green card applications; this process typically takes between six months to two years depending on how quickly USCIS processes all applications it receives.

Can a Family Member Sponsor a Relative to Live in the USA?


If a relative would like to become a U.S. permanent resident, they will need to have a family member sponsor them. The person (if it is you) who sponsors their permanent residency application must meet the requirements set out by the U.S. government, which include:

  1. They must be related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption
  2. They must be over 18 years old and financially capable of supporting themselves and their family member.
  3. They must be present in the United States.
  4. They must have lived with you for at least two years before filing the petition for permanent residency on your behalf.
  5. They must be able to provide proof of financial support during this time period.

If you have a family member living in the U.S., you can sponsor them for permanent residency. This means they will be able to live and work anywhere in the U.S., as well as travel outside of the country.

To sponsor your relative, you must meet certain requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • You and your relative must be related by blood or marriage.
  • Your relative cannot have any criminal convictions or pending criminal charges.
  • Your relative must have lived in the U.S. for at least five years before applying for citizenship.
  • Once you’ve met these requirements, you can begin the process of sponsoring your family member through USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

Upon meeting all these requirements, if you are a U.S. citizen or green cardholder, you can sponsor your relative to become a permanent resident.

What Should You Submit?


  • You will need to fill out Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and submit it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • You will also need to provide supporting documents, such as proof of your relationship with the person you are sponsoring and evidence that they have been living in the United States with you for at least two years.
  • Once USCIS approves your petition, they will send it to the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • NVC will then forward your petition to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your relative currently lives so that they can schedule an interview appointment with an immigration officer.
  • The officer will review their application and decide whether or not they should be allowed into the United States as a permanent resident based on their qualifications for entry into the country (such as their age, education level, etc.).

When you sponsor a relative, you promise to provide financial support for them during their first year in the U.S. This can be done through taxes, health insurance, and other means of providing financial support as required by law.

You also need to prove that any other family member who is currently living in the United States is capable of supporting themselves financially during this time period as well as being able to care for themselves once it has passed; this includes children under 21 years old (or up to age 23 if they are enrolled full time in high school). If no other family members can provide financial support, they will not be eligible for sponsorship under these guidelines until they reach adulthood (18 years old).



If you have a relative eligible for a family-sponsored green card, you can sponsor them for U.S. permanent residency. You must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and have lived in the United States for at least three years before filing Form I-130F with USCIS. By satisfying all the crucial guidelines, you will be able to get permanent residency for your relative and help sponsor the person. That is the key point, and hopefully, it will help your relative get the citizenship they deserve.

If you want to get permanent residency for your relative, the assistance of a qualified immigration attorney might be very useful. They can figure out what you and your relative need and easily arrange all the documentation.

new york city immigration lawyer

Guide To U.S. Spouse Visa – Things You Must Know!

Do you have a spouse staying in the U.S. while you are in an overseas nation – waiting to get your green card? It is pretty natural to feel the desire to visit your spouse, but you might be wondering whether it is possible at all and whether the chances of getting your green card fast will get hurt due to that. The answer to this, similar to many other issues related to the laws pertaining to immigrating to the U.S., depends on your specific situation.

Can You Visit Your Spouse in the U.S. While Waiting For Green Card?

It is quite possible for you to visit your spouse in the U.S. while your green card application based on marriage is still pending. If you have to do that, it is necessary to submit an application for a tourist visa. However, before you go for this option, you need to understand the various risks and challenges involved.

At first, you have to convince an immigration officer that it is just for a short time that you plan to stay in the United States and would go back before the expiration of your tourist visa.

However, after that, there is another problem that you have to deal with. When you land in the U.S., you will be ‘inspected’ by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agent at the “port of entry” or border. You will be questioned, and you have to explain the reasons for your visit. Then, the decision to allow you an entry or ‘admission’ (as it is called) would be at the discretion of the CBP agent.

It is vital for you to note that you should never misrepresent the true reason for you to visit the U.S., either before a CBP agent/immigration officer or on an immigration form. Thus, you should not give misleading or false information to officials. Also, you should never lie about being married to a green card holder or U.S. citizen. Any misrepresentation could be considered fraud, and your application for a green card is likely to be denied in that case. An expedited removal order might even be issued, which could make you ineligible for an immigrant visa.

However, even if you have a valid tourist visa, there is no guarantee that you will get admission. In many cases, spouses who seek a green card get their entry denied at the port of entry/border when a CBP agent discovers that they have a pending marriage-based green card application or are married to someone living in the United States.

What Can You Expect?

Spouses of green card holders or U.S. citizens, particularly those with a pending I-130 petition (which is the first step to getting a marriage-based green card), frequently have to face more scrutiny. In case you use a tourist visa to visit your spouse, it could be suspected by the immigration officer in charge of processing your application that you are attempting to sidestep the process of getting a green card to shorten the time to be with your spouse.

Based on your situation, this is something that you can expect:


In case of an I-130 petition that is pending

You would be walking a tightrope, logically speaking, if you have a pending I-130 petition and are trying to visit the United States. You might like to stay in the United States permanently when you get a green card. However, at the moment, you have to convince the CBP agent/immigration officer that you do not have plans yet to settle in the U.S.

That can be tough if you have given up your job already and sold off all your property in your nation. Due to this reason, many people like to visit the U.S. before they do any of those things. Naturally, it is essential to present some strong proof that you have plans to come back to your home nation after your short visit. However, a risk is always there to have your entry denied. There is never any guarantee of admission.


In case of an I-130 petition not pending


If you have not yet begun the process of getting a marriage-based green card by getting an I-130 petition filed, there is no need to prove that you are not in a hurry to settle in the U.S. Still, you might have to go through extra scrutiny while applying for a tourist visa or at the time of arrival in the U.S. This is due to the reason that the CBP agent or immigration officer could have suspicions that you want to avoid the entire process of I-130 by trying to enter on a tourist visa and will then submit a marriage-based green card application after you have entered the U.S. already (which is referred to as “adjustment of status”).

In case you do not have plans immediately to live in the U.S. permanently, you should have a clear idea about that in your application for a tourist visa. Also, you might like to prove:

  • You have academic or work commitments in your home nation, which keeps you from permanently moving to the United States at present.
  • You have a confirmed travel plan with a fixed return date to your nation.

Also, you should never lie about whether your spouse is a green card holder or a U.S. citizen. If your lie gets caught, you might not be able to acquire a green card again in the future.


What Should You Do?

You should get in touch with a qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable immigration lawyer because your attorney would be familiar with the kind of situation you are in. You can get important information regarding visiting a spouse who is residing in the United States at a time when your application for an immigrant visa is still pending.

immigration lawyer new york

Final Rule to Expand USCIS Premium Processing Program in Phases

Premium processing is the name given to an optional program that lets eligible petitioners or applicants request faster processing times with the promise of more guarantees for eligible petitions and applications. The fees for Premium processing are added to those for the regular petition filing or application fees for the request of the underlying benefits.

On May 31, 2022, this rule came into effect. However, the new premium processing categories that have been added by the rule will be only available when the USCIS completes the requisite system development and their availability is explicitly announced.

Availability of Premium Processing

Premium processing remains available for existing categories eligible for premium processing even now. This rule designates new premium processing eligibility for specific immigrant petitions, employment applications, an extension of stay, and changes of status.

However, eligibility to request premium processing for all the categories added newly depends on the revision of systems by the USCIS in order to have the new categories accommodated.

According to the effective date language of the final rule, USCIS will announce the availability of premium processing for immigration benefit requests designated newly according to the regulations of DHS premium processing. These will be available as mentioned during that time.

For such new categories, until the USCIS announces the availability, Premium processing will not be available. It can be assistive to think about the availability of premium processing according to the benefit requested, instead of just the USCIS form number, due to some petitions and applications being used for many purposes. Some of these are not designated for premium processing eligibility. Benefit requests will not be eligible for premium processing if these are not there in the final rule.

USCIS Final Rule and Premium Processing Expansion

A final rule was published by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on March 30, 2022, which was – The implementation of the Emergency Stopgap USCIS Stabilization Act.

It is important to note that the new rule is expanding the “Premium Processing” requesting availability for specific USCIS applications, which include:

Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization includes F-1 STEM OPT Extension and F-1 Optional Practical Training. The Application Processing Timeframes is 30 business days, and US$1,500 is the fee.

Form I-539 Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status includes applications to J-1 Exchange Visitor or F student visa status from specific statuses. Thirty business days are needed for the processing of the application, and the fee is US$1,750.

Form I-129 and Form I-140, for O and H-1B petitions and most other petitions based on employment status. 15 business days are needed for the processing of the application, and US$2,500 is the processing fee – the same amount as for the current Premium Processing for such categories.

Although May 31, 2022, is the rule’s effective date, it will be impossible to file Premium Processing requests for the new types of application form until new premium processing request form versions and the USCIS and processing timelines issue instructions are confirmed by the same.

 There are indications from the USCIS that the Fiscal Year 2022 will have the planned effective date of the rule, and the earliest date might not be until the Fall of the year.

The ISO will surely notify students, and the ISO website will be updated after Premium Processing for Form I-539 and the Form I-765 applications are available. It is expected that the announcement will be made by USCIS on its website as every new type of case gets eligible for premium processing.

Conditions may also be placed on premium processing available for new case types when there is an announcement on the website. These conditions may include restricting the availability of premium processing to all those cases which have been pending for a minimum duration or delaying the initiation of the premium processing schedule due to some administrative factor, like operating a necessary selection lottery.

Other than this, to have new case types be premium processing-eligible, processing will start only on the date when “all prerequisites for adjudication” are obtained by the USCIS, which means that the processing timeframe would start being counted by the agency only upon getting all the background checks, biometrics, interview information, and necessary documentation, as deemed to be suitable for the case type.

Based on the type of case and its needs, applicants and petitioners could have to wait for more time to see their cases get processed, as compared to the official timeframes for premium processing.

Things to Know

This regulation will expand premium processing service to additional case types, which would include:

  • Some Form I-765 employment authorization document (EAD) applications
  • Additional I-140 petition categories
  • Change or extension of status of some Form I-539 applications

This rule will start becoming effective 60 days after the Federal Register publication. However, the implementation will happen in phases – over a time of 3 years at least and will depend on the capacity of the DHS.

It is expected that the phased implementation will start this fiscal year. This rule will also announce a new method for determining the start of the premium processing timeframe for new case types on the basis of when “all prerequisites for adjudication” are obtained by the USCIS, which could prolong the real-time wait for the action to happen on a case.

Until the final rule comes into effect and the premium processing availability details are announced by the USCIS for the eligible cases, the availability of premium processing will be only for the I-140 and I-129 petition case types.

Foreign nationals and employers can start to work with their immigration service provider agencies for the review of cases that are pending (in case of the affected types of cases for which premium processing is expected to become effectual in this financial year) and for detecting those cases that are time-sensitive and need to be considered for premium processing when the case becomes eligible in type.

best law firms in new york

Best Ways to Find an H1-B Visa Sponsorship

Are you planning to live and work in the USA this year? In that case, you need to apply for an H1B visa. There are various options that you can choose from in order to live the kind of life and have the profession that you want in the United States. However, the first step to getting work in the US is to apply for this kind of a visa and submit a petition with the USCIS.

However, keep in mind that in order to get an H1B visa, you might face several problems starting with getting a sponsor. If you do not have a sponsor yet, you have to get one for yourself.

How to Find an H1-B Visa Sponsor?


You are probably already worried about how you can get an H1B visa sponsor for yourself all the way from your country. You are probably also concerned about which companies allow sponsoring an H1B visa or whether some list is there for you to look at and determine which company to go for.

Even if you already live in the US and own an F1 visa or an H4 visa, you will possibly be asking the same questions. Read and find out how you can find a sponsor for your H1-B visa.

Try to Find a Job in the Database of the H1B Visa Sponsors


First and foremost, you have to look for companies that have already sponsored each H1B visa in the last few years. This can be done by checking the list of companies that sponsor H1B Visas or searching the H1B Visa Sponsors Database.

You can use these keywords in search engines like Google and change the wording a little to get lists of the names of all those companies that have sponsored H1-B visas in the last few years.

If you wish to go to a specific region in the US, you could try to look for “H1B Visa Sponsors Database California” or use any other word combination with the State / City you want to visit. You might also be able to find the kind of jobs, information about salary, and which kinds of petitions have received approval from the USCIS.

After you have done proper research, make a list of all those companies you are interested in working with and carry out a proper assessment – on the basis of the number of petitions that they approve or reject every year. Please find out how many petitions they file annually and more. Based on this kind of assessment, you can choose those companies you would like to apply to for a job.

It is imperative to choose a company for an internship that has sponsored other H1-B visa petitions already in the past, given that the process can be pretty complex. If the company knows the process already, everything can become easier for you.

There are plenty of companies in the United States offering H1B sponsorship. Some of the biggest and most profitable agencies provide this kind of sponsorship, such as Facebook, Google Salesforce, Microsoft, and Amazon.

Apply for a job and receive an offer letter


Then, you have to create an outstanding resume and write an impeccable application. You have to apply to all the companies on your list and not only to a specific company so that there are more chances of getting an H1B visa sponsor for yourself.

The best way to obtain a job is to send your application to all those companies that have sponsored a number of H1B visa petitions already in the past few years. But, if you are unable to find agencies in your domain of expertise, you can check out US job websites such as Dice, Monster, or CareerBuilder. It is also a good idea to check out the homepage of the website While looking for good jobs in the US, you might get fortunate while browsing those websites.

After getting an employment offer, you must inform the company that you would like to be on the H1B visa sponsorship petition for the current year. It can make the company understand that it has to act quickly, to make it easier for you to get the coveted H1B visa. It is also advisable that you apply to as many jobs in as many companies approving H1B visa sponsorship applications as possible.

Look for an internship.


Finding an internship is another excellent option that you should try out. If you are already on an F1 Visa in the US and have plans to stay, try to look for an internship at an agency that can sponsor an H1B Visa. Then, you have to use the first two steps to search for and get an internship.

It is also possible for you to find internships at career events and job fairs. You would do well to stay up to date at all times and go to as many networking events as possible.

Try to find global consulting companies.


Try to make a list of all the major global consulting agencies such as Wipro and TCS. Then check out their home pages and look for the types of positions they have on offer before you hit the “Apply” button.

When you manage to get an employment offer, you can negotiate with those agencies about the H1B visa. Always ensure that your competencies and skills are displayed to the companies, and the recruiters have an idea about why you deserve an H1B Visa. It is recommended that you look for a niche in your domain. Although no guarantee is there that you will manage to get the job, the attempt will surely be worthwhile because you might just hit lucky.



You can see that when you are trying to find an H1B Visa sponsor, there are many ways that you can try. With careful planning and approach, getting an H1B sponsorship will not be too difficult for you.

Facing problem in immigration – know all about immigration Process.

immigration lawyers in NYC

U.S. Immigration law is complex, and there is much confusion as to how it works. Immigration law in the United States has been built upon the following principles: the reunification of families, admitting immigrants with valuable skills to the U.S. economy, protecting refugees, and promoting diversity.

The body of law governing current immigration policy is called The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Once a person obtains an immigrant visa and comes to the United States, they become a lawful permanent resident (LPR). In some circumstances, noncitizens already inside the United States can obtain LPR status through a process known as “adjustment of status.” Lawful permanent residents are foreign nationals permitted to work and live lawfully and permanently in the United States.

LPRs are eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. It is impossible to apply for citizenship through the normal process without first becoming an LPR, which is minutely taken care of by the immigration attorneys near you. Each year the United States also admits a variety of noncitizens temporarily. Such “non-immigrant” visas are granted to everyone from tourists to foreign students to temporary workers permitted to remain in the U.S. for years. While certain employment-based visas are subject to annual caps, other non-immigrant visas (including tourist and student visas) have no numerical limits. They can be granted to anyone who satisfies the criteria for obtaining the visa. Get your Free consultation from Gehi & Associates- Highly experienced Immigration Attorneys in New York.


Congratulations on deciding to immigrate to the United States!


Before you begin your immigration journey, you’ll need to understand what the process involves, get the best pieces of advice from the top immigration lawyers in NYC. To permanently move to the United States, you must meet specific requirements, pay government fees, and have your application approved by the U.S. government. That can be complicated and expensive, so it’s important to know what lies ahead.


In today’s difficult immigration times, anyone eligible for U.S. citizenship must apply as soon as possible. An individual can become a U.S. citizen either by birth or through naturalization. A naturalized person is an individual who is not born in the U.S. but acquires citizenship through the application. In American society, being a U.S. citizen provides some benefits. As a U.S. citizen, a person can vote, sponsor relatives, and is entitled to social security and welfare benefits; also, unlike permanent residents, citizens cannot be deported, even if they are charged with a serious crime, under most circumstances.


If you are not a U.S. citizen by birth or acquire U.S. citizenship automatically after birth, you may still be eligible to become a citizen through the naturalization process.


Are you 18 years of age and older?


  • File an Application for Naturalization (Form N-400)
Have you acquired citizenship from your parent(s) while you were under 18 years of age?
  • File an Application for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600)
Are you an adopted child who acquired citizenship from your parent(s)?
  • File an Application for a Certificate of Citizenship on Behalf of an Adopted Child (Form N-643)




The basic requirements for naturalization are as follows:

  • You are atleast 18 years old and be a permanent resident;
  • You should have resided in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident for five years continuously before you file for naturalization. This period is reduced to three years if you are married to and living with the same U.S. citizen spouse who petitioned for you for at least three years as a permanent resident;
  • You must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least half of that 5 or 3 year period;
  • You have to demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character;
  • You must present a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government knowledge;
  • You must show that you can read, write, and speak simple English;
  • Finally, you must pledge allegiance to the U.S. government.




Good moral character is an essential requirement for naturalization. Specific actions, such as illegal gambling, prostitution, failure to pay your taxes, lying to immigration officials, problems with drugs or alcohol, or being in arrears with your child support payments, may make it challenging to prove good moral character. Parking tickets or minor offenses do not usually disqualify an applicant, but repeated convictions for minor violations might. Having a criminal record can make the process a bit more complicated, but it does not mean you will be automatically denied.

Sometimes people with criminal records fail to apply for citizenship because they believe that they are ineligible. It is a misconception that a person who has been charged with a crime cannot become a citizen. A person may be eligible for citizenship, even if they have been accused of a crime in certain instances. If you have a criminal record, it is recommended that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for advice before filing your naturalization application.



Yes, you should always be honest with Immigration regarding the following:

  • Arrests (including those by police, Immigration Officers, and other Federal Agents);
  • Convictions (even if they have been erased/expunged); and,
  • Crimes you committed for which you were not arrested or convicted.

Even if you have committed a minor crime, Immigration may deny your application if you do not mention any previous incidents to the Immigration Officer. You must inform Immigration about any arrests, even if someone else has advised you that you are not required to do so.




You should send your completed Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) or appropriate naturalization form to the proper United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Service (USCIS) Center.



You must send your fee with your application. Remember that your application fee is not refundable, even if you withdraw your application or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) denies your case. You must pay your application fee with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank in U.S. dollars, payable to the “USCIS.”




Yes. Each naturalization applicant must undergo an interview with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). At the interview, you will be asked questions about your application for naturalization and background. Every applicant must then examine, which will test their knowledge of the English language, and a civics exam to test their understanding of U.S. history and government.



After the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has received your application, they will notify you of the location where you should report to get fingerprinted.




Some people with disabilities need special consideration during the naturalization process. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations in these cases. For example, if you use a wheelchair, they will make sure your fingerprint location is wheelchair accessible. If you are hearing impaired and wish to bring a sign language interpreter to your interview, you may do so. Asking for a unique accommodation will not affect your eligibility for naturalization. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes decisions about making such accommodations on a case-by-case basis.




The time it takes to become a citizen varies from one local office to another.




The receipt notice you will receive from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will provide you with the approximate time it will take for them to process your case. If you have NOT been scheduled for a naturalization interview, you can visit the local office having jurisdiction over your claim to inquire about the status of your application.




In most cases, you may reapply for citizenship if the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) denies your application. If you reapply, you will need to complete and resubmit a new Application for Naturalization (N-400) form and pay the fee again. You will also need to have your fingerprints and photographs retaken. If your application is denied, the denial letter should indicate the date you may reapply for citizenship. If you are denied because you failed the English or civics test, you may reapply for naturalization any time after your denial. You should reapply whenever you believe you have learned English or civics well enough to pass the test.




Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date will be printed on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card).




You become a citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. In some places, you can choose to take the Oath the same day as your interview. If that option is not available or if you prefer a ceremony at a later date, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will notify you of the ceremony date with a Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (Form N-445).




Selective Service registration allows the U.S. Government to maintain a list of names of men who may be called into military service in case of a national emergency requiring rapid expansion of the U.S. Armed Forces. The Selective Service can ensure that any future draft will be fair and equitable by registering all young men. Federal law requires that at least 18 years old but not yet 26 years old be registered with Selective Service. This also includes all male non-citizens within these age limits who permanently reside in the U.S. Men who are lawful permanent residents must register. Men cannot register for the Selective Service after reaching the age of 26.




Failure to register for the Selective Service may (in certain instances) make you ineligible for certain immigration benefits, such as citizenship.


Given the current challenges facing those seeking United States citizenship, it is strongly recommended that everyone interested in doing so should consider becoming a citizen as soon as they become eligible. Please note that several conditions must be met to be considered a naturalized United States citizen. A variety of significant benefits await all who become United States citizens. If you are a United States citizen, you will not be deported, even if you are charged with a serious crime (in most cases). Additionally, becoming a citizen gives you the right to vote, become eligible for Medicaid, sponsor relatives, etc.


Book your Free Personal Consultation at Gehi & Associates NOW and let our experience be your guide!