What is the time frame for visa processing in the United States?

Visa processing in the United States, although is looked after by the most appropriate professionals with laws guarding it, might not be the most predictable procedure in the administrative curriculum of the country.


There is no one processing time to predict when it comes to a visa application process in the U.S. As the U.S. administration reviews every application process on a case-by-case footing thereby the reviewing process can vary with the kind of immigration process in concern.


Usually, for temporary non Immigrant visas, the time frame goes till a few weeks or months whereas immigrant visa applicants can take up to years. The US visa processing time depends on the type of visa that one is applying for.

After the processing, the applicant is likely to receive a reply of affirmation on the application, and the consulate is to deliver the document. The delivery of the visa can take up to two other workdays.


On average, the processing duration for each of the visas is as follows :

  • E1 visa: 2 to 4 weeks i.e. almost a month
  • E2 visa: 4 to 6 weeks i.e. more than a month
  • E3 visa: 2 months
  • F1 visa: A few days, comparatively shorter than the other visa application processes.
  • F2 visa: Few days to 2 weeks i.e. up to 14 days
  • J1 visa: 1 to 4 months
  • Q1 visa: 15 days to 3 months
  • M1 visa: 4 weeks on a minimum
  • B1 visa: Few weeks to 2 months
  • B2 visa: Similar to B1, this takes a duration of a couple of weeks to 2 months too.
  • H1B visa : 3 to 6 months
  • H1B1 visa: 4 to 6 months
  • H2A visa: Generally it takes no more than 120 days but as it is seasonal in nature, the time duration varies.
  • H3 visa: 4 to 6 weeks
  • H4 visa: As it is dependent on the H-type visa holder i.e. a spouse or parent, therefore the time duration depends on the time taken to process their visa.
  • L1 visa : 3 to 4 months
  • L2 visa: 15 days to 1 month
  • R1 visa: 8 to 9 months
  • P1 visa : 3 to 6 months
  • I visa: 10 days
  • O visa: 2 to 3 months
  • C visa: 5 working days
  • T visa: Being dependent on the applicant’s status and the evidence of deserving the visa they provide to the authorities, the duration varies.
  • U visa: 12 to 18 months


Applications facing refusal under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) pending further processing, can take up to 60 days the processing from the date of the visa interview. In certain situations, the processing might take more than 6 months.


Applicants who are required to apply for a waiver of ineligibility to obtain the visa should be aware that they might have to wait for up to 6 to 8 months from the date of their interview in order to get a reply.


It must be taken note that during cases of emergency, the State Department grants appointments and interview processing in an expedited time frame provided the U.S. embassy or consulate of the country of the applicant is well informed beforehand.

The 4 Basic Types of Travel Visas.



There are many distinct visas required when traveling in a country outside of your own country of citizenship. Travel, business, and work are the common reasons to have to apply for a visa. 

A visa to the U.S. is a document that allows a non-U.S. citizen or non-permanent resident to apply to visit the United States for a particular reason. It is a Non-immigrant Visa for temporary stay or an immigrant Visa for a permanent stay.

Below are the four main sub-types of visa 

Visa Type Description

Type #1: Tourist visa

Type #2: Immigration and naturalization visas (including by marriage)

Type #3: Student visas 

Type #4: Business or work visas 

Type #1 – Tourist or Business Visa Requirements: 

When talking about tourist or business visas, a non-immigrant visa is for a temporary stay for work purposes or holidays, such as attending a conference, touring a destination, or visiting a family member. You can apply for two types of Visas: B-1/B-2 visa. 

B-1 for business associates travel for a scientific, professional, business convention, educational, or conference on specific dates.

B-2 for recreational travel such as tourism, visits with friends and family, medical treatment and activities, social or service activities.

Type #2 – Immigration Visa 

An immigration visa permits another person to stay in a country permanently. This is closely related to the naturalization and citizenship process; the citizenship process, also known as naturalization, is the last step in becoming a full citizen of the U.S. (Note: Go to to study and prepare for your U.S. Citizenship)

Green Card holders should sit tight five years before applying for citizenship. There are different ways to get an immigrant visa through family, employment, investment, the diversity lottery, refugee or asylum status, the Registry, and the director of the CIA.

Type #3 – Student Visa

A student visa (F or M) is required to study in the United States. A student visa is also a non-immigrant visa.

Any foreign national studying in the U.S. will need a U.S. F and M Student Visa. This visa includes the group of visas for academics and educational experts going offshore for particular work trips. 

These types of visas are considered J visas, which might also be considered work visas.

Type #4 – Work Visa 

If you have a good education, skills, and work experience, you may be able to work permanently in the United States by looking for an employment-based immigrant visa.

Some immigrant visa inclinations expect you to have a job offer from a U.S. business. This job will be considered your sponsor. 

Many different types of work visas exist,


Each country wants to ensure that its citizens have priority for the jobs available in that country. Each employment-based visa category contains its requirements for the employment-based visa applicant and their potential employer.

The process of obtaining a visa can be time-consuming and challenging. If you require any assistance from an immigration attorney, consider working with a professional law firm to help you secure your visa before you travel. The firm assists individuals with their primary and complex legal matters. Gehi & Associates attorneys can also acknowledge any questions and assist with preparing anything you’ll need throughout the process.

For more information and advice on US immigration law and US visa applications please contact us  [Call icon] (718) 577-0711 or Email: or WhatsApp Us now @ +1 (917) 781-0791


You can also check our website for more information: