¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Understanding The US Visa Application Process With An Immigration Attorney In Jackson Heights

Understanding The US Visa Application Process With An Immigration Attorney In Jackson Heights

Understanding The US Visa Application Process

Every year, millions of people apply for US visas. They are trying to get to the US for various reasons, like medical care, study, work, business, or even a diplomatic visit. Most of them get approved, but many are still rejected because they don’t follow instructions. But don’t worry if you have failed to win your visa application; you can still apply. You should apply again if you have a good reason to come to the US. It is no secret that the US is one of the memorable places to visit or stay.

However, you must have a valid visa to enter the US. Getting a visa in the US can take a lot of work. The US immigration system is well-structured and gives you all the information you need to come to the US for a short or an extended period. The application process for a visa involves a lot of information and paperwork. It can be very confusing for most people.

An immigration attorney in Jackson Heights can guide you through the visa application process. Here is what you should know about getting a US visa and how to go through the process.

What Are The Visa Options In The US?

There are various visa options in the US, depending on the reason you are coming. You will most likely be denied a visa if you don’t have a valid reason for coming. This is why the US government rejects many visa applications yearly. If you plan to come to the US, you must apply for either an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa.

An immigrant visa is for those who want to make the US their home country or stay for an extended period. However, a nonimmigrant visa is for those who are only visiting the US for a short-term visit with a specific purpose. This means your visa option in the US falls broadly between nonimmigrant and immigrant visas.

Non-immigrant visas are for those who only want to visit the US short-term, such as for work, visiting family, or studying. If you are considering moving to the US for good, you must get an immigrant visa. There are many different types of immigrant visas, like those for immigrant investors, family reunions, and more.

To learn more about these different visa options in the US, talk to an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights. Non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas are two different types of visas. The main difference is how long you can stay in the US. Non-immigrant visas are only good for a limited amount of time.

Once they expire, you have to return to your country. Immigrant visas, however, are permanent, meaning you can come to the US and go as you please.

How To Go Through The Process

1. Spot the visa option that suits your needs

Before you begin your visa application process in the US, it is essential to determine what visa option works for you. Depending on your purpose, you must select the appropriate visa type. There are several visa options available in the US. B-2 visas are used for tourism purposes, such as meeting friends and attending events in the US.

B-1 visas are used for business purposes, such as attending meetings and conferences in the US. F-1 visas allow you to study in the US, such as obtaining a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. H1-B visas are used for work purposes, allowing you to work in a specific field in the US. H-4 visas are used for dependents, allowing you to travel as a dependent of a foreign worker.

L-1 visas can be used for international transfers, enabling you to come to work in a US office of your job. There are many other types of US visas available. If you are unsure which one is right for you, you can talk to an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights to help you figure it out.

Each has its rules and regulations, so be sure to follow them before applying. It is also essential to be sure you have the correct paperwork for the visa you are applying for when you are asked to come for the interview.

2. Find a sponsor

If you are a foreign national looking to move to the US on an immigrant visa, you will need someone in the US to help you. This could be a family member who is a US citizen, a legal resident, your partner, or someone you plan to work for. But there are some exceptions.

Your sponsor will start the immigration process by submitting an I-130 application with USCIS for an Alien Relative. You must file an Alien Worker application with USCIS if you want to work. Your sponsor must go through the initial petitioning process, which involves providing paperwork, filling out forms, and answering a few questions.

The success of their application depends on the number of visas available and how persuasive it is. Some visa categories, like employment visas, have a finite number of visas available yearly, so you will be on a waiting list. More people join the waiting list annually, even though more applications keep coming in.

It can take up to 18 months to get a US visa for an immigrant. So, you might not get an immigrant visa until a different year than when your sponsor sends a petition for you. This means you will be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Your visa availability will depend on when you filed your petition, known as your priority date.

If you are in Jackson Heights, an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights can help you file your petition correctly. Don’t apply for an immigrant visa until your sponsor’s petition is approved by USCIS. After USCIS approves your petition, it will be sent to the NVC for review.

Once the NVC sees your petition, it will decide if it is “current” or “within the next 12 months.” Then, the NVC starts the immigrant visa prep process, which includes collecting fees and forms from sponsors and immigrants. They will let you know all the details and let you know what to do. So, keep checking your email and phone for any updates from NVC.

3. Prepare the things to support your application.

Depending on which US visa you are applying for, you will need a lot of stuff to back it up. Here is what you might need depending on what kind of visa you are looking for:

  1. Your passport;
  2. Your personal contact info;
  3. Your family info;
  4. Your current job info;
  5. Your work experience;
  6. Your education history (from 10th grade on);
  7. Your travel itinerary and who’s paying for you to go;
  8. Your digital passport with a white background;
  9. Where you are coming to in the US;
  10. Who is your point of contact in the US;
  11. Your social media accounts (like Facebook and Twitter);
  12. Who your travel companions are.

You will also need specific documents or information related to the visa you want (e.g., if you are applying for H1-B, you will need info from USCIS’s petition approval notice).

4. Fill out forms and book an appointment.

Once you have all your stuff ready, you must fill out forms like the DS-160 for nonimmigrant visas and the DS-260 for immigrant visas. Foreigners can do it online or visit their home country’s US Embassy or Consulate. If you don’t fill it, it could really affect your visa.

It is essential to have an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights help you with the application form. You must book an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate to submit the visa application and other paperwork. The waiting time will depend on your location, the time of year, and the type of visa you are applying for.

You can find out how long it will take by talking to an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights. It is important to remember that you must pay the fee before the appointment. Your embassy or consulate will tell you when you need to pay it.

5. Be there for your appointment.

When you get to the appointment, you must complete your application and whatever else you must meet. Your visa officer will examine it and decide whether you can get a US visa. They will ask questions to be sure you know what you are signing up for. They will also need to take your fingerprints. This will be done at the appointment.

You may still be required to pay other fees. At the end of the interview, they might ask you to fill out more paperwork before making a final decision. It all depends on what goes on at your appointment. The process might seem confusing, but you should hire an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights to help guide you through it.

Get Help!

Foreigners have many options for entering the US, but getting the proper visa takes a lot of work. That is why it is so vital to hire an immigration attorney in Jackson Heights. Gehi and Associates have a team of experienced immigration attorneys in Jackson Heights who can help you get any visa.

We have had much success over the years, so you can count on us to handle your immigration applications and make it a great experience. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help!


1. Can I enter the US without a visa?

If your home country is eligible for the US Visa Waiver Program, you can enter the US without a visa. But if it is not, you must apply for a visa to enter the US.

2. Can I be prevented from entering the US after I get a visa?

Yes. No matter what visa you are approved for, it does not mean you will be allowed to come to the US just like that. The immigration officials at the border will decide if you can enter.

3. Can I go through the entire visa application process online?

No, you must appear in person to apply and submit your biometric data. You must also schedule an in-person appointment with your Embassy or Consulate.

4. Will I get a refund of the fee if my application is unsuccessful?

The visa fee is only to process your visa application, so you won’t get your fee back if you get rejected.

5. Do I have a chance in my visa application with a damaged passport?

No. Getting a new passport before you begin your visa application is a good idea.

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content