¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!



Texas is a great place to live, work, and visit. It’s got a great economy with plenty of job opportunities in tech and finance. Also, the cost of living is usually lower than in other places, and you can get a great deal on food, health care, and transportation. You do not have to worry about state income taxes in Texas.

And with a vibrant culture and stunning natural beauty, you will surely find something to love in Texas. You will have to get the necessary work visa to make the most of this opportunity of working in Texas, US. If you are looking to work in Texas, US, you have two options.

You can either go as a temporary employee or you can go as a permanent employee sponsored by a US employer. The temporary employees need a non-immigrant visa, and the sponsored ones need an immigrant visa. Getting a work visa in Texas, US is a big deal and requires you to know your work visa options and if you are eligible for any.

An immigration attorney in Texas can help you achieve this and more. Here is some vital info to help you get the gist of your work visa option in Texas, US, and know whether you are eligible.

What is a work visa?

A work visa is a type of visa that lets someone from another country come and work legally in the US. It is not a long-term visa, and the length of time they can stay depends on the visa they get. To get a work visa, you need to file a petition with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and then apply for one. 

You will need to meet all the requirements, submit your visa application and documents, and go through an interview in your home country. Once you are approved, you can start working in the US. Before you can apply for a work visa with USCIS, you will need to get labor certificates and a Department of Labor approval.

Talk to an immigration attorney in Texas to ensure you meet all the requirements. Once you get your work visa, you must follow the visa terms and conditions. Non-citizens who do not follow these conditions could have their visa revoked and cannot come back to the US.

What are your work visa options?

Depending on what you are looking to do and what kind of work you want to do, there are different kinds of US work visas available. Some are specialty occupations (HB1 visas), Free Trade Agreement (FTA) professionals (H1B1 visas), farmers (H-2A visas), non-farm workers (H-2B visas), and even trainees or education visitors (H-3 visas).

H1B visas are for people in special jobs, and you need to have a degree or equivalent from a higher education institution. They can also be used for fashion models of great merit and ability and for government-run research and development or co-productions.

On the other end of the spectrum, H1B1 visas are for people from Free Trade Agreement countries like Chile and Singapore. You need to have at least a four-year degree in the specialty you are working in. There are also H-2A visas for people who work in agriculture, and you have to be from an eligible country, and your work must be in the interest of the US.

You can clarify if you are from an eligible country for this visa by talking with an immigration attorney in Texas. H-2B visas are for people who want to work in the US temporarily as non-farm workers. It is only for people who are citizens of some countries. The grant of this visa must be shown to be in the interest of the US.

The other visas are the H-3 and I visas. With the H-3 visa, you can get training unavailable in your home country or take part in practical programs to help kids with disabilities. With an I visa, you can work in the US as a journalist or someone in the media industry. L-1 visas let you work at your current employer’s branch, parent company, or subsidiary.

And with the P-1 visa, you can perform at certain athletic competitions. Performers and entertainers can use P-2 visas to work in a US exchange program, while P-3 visas let them perform, teach, or coach in culturally unique programs. R-1 visas are for those who want to work with religious organizations.

Canadians from some fields can use TN visas to work temporarily in the US. O1 visas are for people who have exceptional skills in math, business, teaching, education, sports, or art. The sure way to know the work visa option that works for you is by speaking with an immigration attorney in Texas.

Who is eligible for a work visa?

Each work visa type has its eligibility requirements, which is why you should hire an immigration attorney in Texas to help you determine if you are eligible. But if you want to get a US work visa, you must meet three general criteria. First, you need to have been offered a job in the US. 

Then, your US employer will need to file a petition for a nonimmigrant worker with USCIS (also known as an I-129 petition). Thirdly, the US employer needs to get labor certification approval from the Department of Labor (DOL). This is important because some work visas, like H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, and H-2B visas, require the DOL to approve them. 

If these criteria are not met, your visa application may be denied. You also need to meet the following conditions to be eligible: 

  1. Have a valid passport;
  2. Have a US visa photo;
  3. Have a receipt number from your work visa I-129 form;
  4. Have proof of completion of the DS-160 form;
  5. Have proof that you paid the application fee; 
  6. Have proof that you will return to your home country if your work is done in the US. Remember that you can always change your status while in the US with the help of an immigration attorney in Texas.

Get Help!

Now that you know a little bit more about work visas, it is important to keep in mind that there is more. So, the best way to ensure you win your work visa case without stress is to work with an immigration attorney in Texas.

Our immigration lawyers here at Gehi & Associates have a lot of experience dealing with work visa issues and can help you through your application to get amazing results. If you are considering applying for a work visa, it is a good idea to do it as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or would like help with anything in this post or about other areas of work visas, contact us right away!

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content