¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarat, and Afrikaans!

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Visa Application Process For Nepali Immigrants With An Immigration Attorney In Texas

Visa Application Process For Nepali Immigrants With An Immigration Attorney In Texas

Visa Application Process For Nepali Immigrants With An Immigration Attorney In Texas

There is a massive increase in the number of people applying for US visas yearly. Millions of people are trying to get into the US for different reasons like studying, work, business trips, and even diplomatic visits. Most of them get accepted, but many people are still turned down because they fail to follow instructions, among other reasons.

But the good news is that these people can still try to come to America. You should apply for a visa if you have a great reason to come to the US. If you are a Nepalese looking to visit or stay in the US, it is no secret that it is one of the great places to go. However, you will need a valid visa if you want to enter the US.

Getting a visa in the US can be a real hassle. The US immigration system is well-organized and provides what you must do to come to the US for a short or long stay. The visa application process involves a ton of info and paperwork that can be overwhelming for most people. But an immigration attorney in Texas can walk you through the process.

Here is what you need to know about applying for a US visa and what you will need.

Types of US Visas

The type of visa available for you in the US depends on why you are coming to the US. It is a sure way to get rejected if you do not have a good reason for coming. This is one of the reasons why the US government denies many visa applications yearly. If you plan to come to the US, you must apply for an immigrant or non-immigrant visa.

An immigrant visa is for someone who wants to make America their home country or one of their home countries for life, while a non-immigrant is for someone who is just visiting temporarily with a purpose. This means you can get two main types of visas in the US: non-immigrant and immigrant visas.

A non-immigrant visa is for people who want to visit the US temporarily. They can come to work, visit family, or study. On the other end of the spectrum is an immigrant visa for people planning to move to the US for good. These visas come in various forms, like an immigrant investor, family reunion, etc.

There are around 185 different kinds of US non-immigrant and immigrant visas. Learn more about the different types of visa options in US by talking with an immigration attorney in Texas. The main difference between a non-immigrant visa and an immigrant visa is the length of stay.

A non-immigrant visa is only valid for a limited time. Once it expires, the visa holder must go back to their home country. On the other hand, immigrant visas are permanent. Once you have an immigrant visa, you can move to the US and stay for as long as you like without returning to your home country.

Steps to apply for U.S. US visa

1. Decide on the visa you need.

Before you start applying for a visa in the US, figuring out what kind of visa you need is crucial. You will need to choose the right type of visa depending on what you are traveling for. If you want to visit the US, you can choose from a few different types of visas. B2 visas are for tourism, so you can visit friends and attend events in the US.

B1 visas are for business, so you can attend meetings and conferences. F1 visas are for studying in the US, so you can get a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. H1B visas are for work, so you can work in a particular field in the US. H4 visas are for dependents, so you can travel as a dependent of a foreign worker.

L1 visas are for international transfers, so you can come to work in the US office. There are many more visa options. If you need to figure out which visa category fits your purpose, you can consult an immigration attorney in Texas.

Each visa option has its own set of requirements, so you must ensure you meet them before you apply. It is also vital to ensure you have all the necessary paperwork for the type of visa you choose when you go to the interview.

2. Get a sponsor if you need an immigrant visa.

If you are a foreigner who wants to move to the US, you will need someone in the US to sponsor you, but there are a few exceptions. The sponsor could be a relative who is a US citizen, a legal permanent resident, your spouse, or someone you want to work for in the US.

Your sponsor will get you started on the immigration process by filing an I-130 petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for an Alien Relative. If you want to work in the US, the sponsor will file an Alien Worker petition with the USCIS. Your sponsor must take the first step of petitioning.

They must provide some paperwork, fill out forms, and answer a few questions. How successful their application is depends on how many visas are available and how convincing they are. Some visa categories, like for employees, have a limited number of visas each year. If you make it to the top of the list for a particular visa class, you will be put on the waiting list.

Every year, more people are added to the waiting list, even though new applications keep coming in.That is why it can take up to a year and a half to get an American visa for an immigrant. So, expect to get an immigrant visa in a different year than your sponsor sends you a petition.

That means your visa availability will depend on when your petition was filed. This is called your priority date. An immigration attorney in Texas can help your sponsor file the petition correctly. Do not start your immigrant visa application until your sponsor’s petition is accepted by USCIS.

Once USCIS approves your sponsor’s petition, they will send it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for review. The NVC will decide if your petition is “current” or will be within the next 12 months. If it is, the NVC will start the immigrant visa prep. This involves collecting visa fees and forms from both sponsors and immigrants.

They will get back to you with all the details and help you figure out what to do next. So check your email or phone for any new info from NVC.

3. Get ready for the things you need.

Depending on the kind of US visa you want, you will need a bunch of different things to support your application. Here are what you may need depending on the type of US visa you want.

  1. Your passport.
  2. Your personal contact info.
  3. Your family info.
  4. Your current job info.
  5. Your work experience.
  6. Your education history (since 10th grade).
  7. Your US travel itinerary.
  8. Who is paying for your trip?
  9. Your digital passport (white background).
  10. Your US point of contact.
  11. Your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
  12. Your travel companions’ information.

You will need particular documents or info related to the type of visa you want. For example, if you want an H1B visa, you will need info from the USCIS’s H1B petition approval notice.

4. Complete the application form.

Once you have all your paperwork and info ready, you must complete a DS-160 form if you are applying for a non-immigrant visa. If you apply for an immigrant visa, you must complete a DS-260 form. Nepalese can do this online or decide to complete the form at US embassy or consulate in Nepal.

Failure to complete this form properly can significantly impact your application. It is essential to get an immigration attorney in Texas to guide you through completing your application form.

5. Set up an appointment.

Set an appointment at your embassy or consulate to submit your visa application and paperwork. Waiting for appointments can vary depending on where you are, what time of year it is, and what kind of visa you need. You can find out your waiting time by talking to an immigration attorney in Texas.

6. Pay the fee.

You will need to pay the fee. You might have to pay it before the appointment, but your embassy or consulate will let you know when you should pay it.

7. Attend your appointment.

When you show up for your appointment, you must submit your application and any other paperwork you have with you. The visa officer will examine it and decide if you can get it. They might ask you more questions if you need to be more specific. You will also need to give them your fingerprints.

You must do that at your appointment if you still need to pay the fee. Once the interview is over, the visa officer might tell you that they need to do some more paperwork to make a decision. The amount of time they will take depends on the situation. The process might seem hazy, but you get an immigration attorney in Texas to be your tour guide.

Get help!

Many visa options are open to Nepalese and foreigners to enter the US, but the process takes work. This is because it involves a lot of forms, info, things to prove your case, and more. This makes hiring an immigration attorney in Texas more attractive.

At Gehi and Associates, we have an experienced team of immigration attorneys in Texas who can walk you through getting any visa type you might need in the US. The testimony of our successes over the years is an open secret. So, you can trust us to help you handle your immigration applications and give you a memorable experience.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you!


1. As a Nepalese, can I get into the US without a visa?

Yes, because Nepal is a non-Visa Waiver Program country, you must get a visa to come and live in the US.

2. After I get a visa, can I enter the US?

Not always. The visa you are approved for does not guarantee your entry into US. The immigration authorities at the border control will decide whether or not you will be allowed to enter.

3. Can I get a visa with a damaged passport?

No, it would help if you got a new passport before applying for a visa.

4. Will I get the fee I paid back if my application is not approved?

No, the visa fee is just for processing your application, so it will not be refunded if denied.

Can I apply and get my visa through the mail?

No, you must show up to apply and get your biometric info. You will need to book an appointment with your embassy or consulate.

Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents


Free Consultation

Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content