¿Habla español? | Our firm is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Bengali, Creole, Punjabi, Gujarati, and Afrikaans!
  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • What You Should Know About Green Cards

What You Should Know About Green Cards

What You Should Know About Green Cards

Whether you are applying for permanent residency or have been a permanent resident of the United States for some time, there are some things you should know about green cards (or, as they are also known, permanent resident cards). We’ll go through a few of these points in more detail below.

If you’re starting to change your immigration status, don’t hesitate to call an experienced New York immigration attorney at Gehi & Associates.

What You Should Know About Green Cards

  1. Green cards can be temporary or conditional.

In truth, when someone is awarded conditional permanent residency status, their green card is only good for two (2) years. A petition to remove the condition must be filed with USCIS within 90 days of the card’s expiration date to convert a conditional green card to a permanent resident card. If this step is skipped:

  • The condition will not go away.
  • The conditional card is non-renewable.
  • The person’s status as a permanent resident will be revoked.

2. Green cards do not require signatures.

The obligation to sign green cards may be waived by USCIS where cardholders are:

For individuals under 18 who are physically impaired and unable to sign green cards when these waivers are authorized, instead of the cardholder’s signature, the term “Signature Waived” will appear in the spot where the signature should be.

3. Green cards must be renewed when they expire.

Green cards are typically awarded for ten years. This means that they expire ten years after being issued and need to be renewed in order for the cardholder to keep his permanent residence status. Green card renewals can be done online or by mail, but they must be completed within six months of the card’s expiration date.

If you have an older version of the card (such as an alien registration card), you must replace it with a current green card (either now or within three months of your current card expiring).

Gehi & Associates is a New York immigration law firm.

Do you require assistance in obtaining a green card or addressing immigration issues? If this is the case, you can contact Gehi & Associates, a reputable New York immigration law firm. Our attorneys have represented clients in various immigration cases for over 20 years.

Our firm uses cutting-edge technology to deliver these services quickly while offering old-fashioned human attention to each client. That means you can expect your case to move forward as swiftly as possible while knowing that your Gehi & Associates attorney will promptly and honestly respond to your queries.

Please get in touch with us.

Call us today to learn about our citizenship, immigration, and deportation defense services.


Share it!

Table of Contents

Table of Contents



Free Consultation

Recent Posts

Understanding The United States’ Visa Interview
Understanding The United States’ L-2 Visa Work Approval
Understanding How To Extend The United States’ B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa
A Guide Through The United States’ Citizenship Interview
Scroll to Top

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Signup to our email newsletter for Legal Updates, Tips & Webinars!

Skip to content