Every time we Google immigration and citizenship in the US, the H1B visa program has been one of the most searched topics. Or should we say, debate? It has been an undeniable fact that the United States has harbored a larger population of immigrants than any other democracy.
Amongst the many kinds of immigration visas, the advantages and disadvantages from the economic and social perspective, the unending inquiries or temporary protected status in the United States, the H1B visa has stirred a noticeable number of debates them, especially in recent times.
Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, H1B is a visa in the USA allowing native employers to hire foreign workers and employees for specific job roles strictly for employment purposes.
It was brought forth by President George Bush in the year 1990 under the Immigration Act of 1990 to curb a shortage of labor supply in specialized industries with temporary immigration status in the US.
In a blink, the H1B seems like a painless pathway for a visa to the US, but similar to other US citizenship and immigration services, this visa has conditions involved in it too, which have to be fulfilled by the employee who will be provided with it.
As globally talked about, the Trump administration had widely drawn a line of the end for the distribution of temporary Immigration visas for employment in relation to the unemployment situation during the menacing phase of the Covid-19 pandemic as it has been estimated more than once that owing to the temporary citizenship provision provided to the noncitizens from certain organizations were a direct threat to the employment of the native American employees.
And as the immigration lawyers in New York, the employee visas approved for the Fiscal year 2021 ought to be affected. With more innovative ideas, it has been noticed that the companies’ better productivity with better prices of the IT-related goods ( an industry most widely benefited from the H1B visa program) and stronger export business.
The advantages of the visa, if you ask any US citizenship consultant or American citizenship lawyer, involve integral perquisites like easy portability amidst the rigorous regulations of work-related visas, Immigration visa for a spouse, and one of the most important: dual visa intent, i.e., one can apply for permanent residency in the country under the nonimmigrant status of H-1B immigration visa.
However, the visa does not solely benefit the nonimmigrants. The benefits of a temporary immigration visa for employment in the US are equally indispensable. They are as follows:
- Employment across barriers – The hiring of employees from different countries has always benefited the US workforce. Employing people regardless of caste, creed, or any discrimination is a great way to cultivate a company’s potential.
- Creativity and newer perspectives from a homogeneous work environment are always more avid. It gives a space for creativity influenced by the employees’ cultures and national discoveries. With various perspectives from different sources result in a greater innovation from the intermingling of ideas.
- Introduction to a foreign language – When the employees are from different backgrounds, in situations of meetings and projects with industries overseas, it is helpful to have employees who are fluent in the language spoken by the other party in order to understand the cultural intricacies and for more effective communication.
- Employees from all over the world bring a multicultural workplace culture that improves morale and enhances a company’s reputation and popularity.
- Global competitiveness – As deduced earlier, global competitiveness has been a major reason for the economic growth of each of the countries when there is professional competition between the economies in terms of assessing each other’s development. In this case, it serves the same purpose.
- Abundance in Labour – As many employers face a lack of labor in their companies owing to the location of their chosen candidates for the job, the H-1B Immigration visa is a savior for both the employees for shifting solely for their career and for the employers too who face more convenience with their temporary professions catering to the jobs in front of them.
- Healthy International Relations – Human potential from one country joining hands with the platform to make fitting use of the potential in the other country is a professional method of enhancing a country’s relationship with the other. Not only is it restricted to an employee-employer relationship, but it is a blending of two forces, their potentiality and the prosperity they can bring to the future of both countries.
As per the studies and research, the decline of temporary Immigration visas to noncitizen employees of other countries to ameliorate the status of employment of the US citizens with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or a degree equivalent to it.
There is no hard evidence of the refined status of employment of the professionals in the US with a Bachelor’s degree ( the most pertinent criteria for the application of the H-1B visa ) or an equivalent in the markets that need workers from both domestic and sources beyond their national barriers.
Instead of upgrading the labor market condition in the economy after the move was taken forward, the employment opportunities and jobs remained unoccupied, which resulted in a dearth of labor and slow progress on the work front.
In 2010, it was found out that native employees of the US had more revenue owing to the H-1B visa, and the labor market dependent on the temporary Immigration citizenship visa had faced a loss with vacant positions in the company post decline of the visa during the phase of Covid-19.